Headlines across the country and world are focused on the novel Coronavirus which continues to spread worldwide. The Culpeper team understands how concerning this must be for our residents and staff, their families and the general public.
The clinical and medical teams at The Culpeper are carefully monitoring the spread of the virus and listening to the advice and directives coming from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Virginia Department of Health.
The likelihood of the novel Coronavirus spreading in the U.S. no longer a question of “if,” but “when?” Senior citizens are typically more vulnerable to exposure and illness from viruses like this, so now is the time for calm preparedness.
To prevent the spread of Coronavirus in long-term care communities, the CDC recommends the same strategies used to fight the flu or other viruses.
Seven Things The Culpeper Is Doing:
- Placing up-to-date notifications at entrances and on our websites.
- Intensifying cleaning and disinfection.
- Conducting inventory and obtaining supplies to prepare and manage infection control.
- Reviewing infection control procedures with team member
- Educating team members about management of residents/staff who develop symptoms.
- Screening new residents and staff.
Six Things Everyone Can Do:
- Wash your hands
- Cover your mouth when you sneeze.
- Maintain “social distances” of a few feet near people who show symptoms.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home and get medical attention if you are sick.
- Avoid travel to high-affected areas.
- CDC Website
- World Health Organization Introduction to Coronavirus Video
- CDC Printable Fact Sheets
- CDC Video Series: Coronavirus Prevention for Individuals
- CDC Outbreak Map
If you or a family member has flu-like symptoms—fever, cough, sore throat, runny/stuffy nose, muscle aches, headache or fatigue—has recently traveled to an affected area or has been in contact with an individual who has a confirmed case of Coronavirus, please notify the members of the healthcare team at The Culpeper. They will provide you with instructions.